Website Breckenridge Insurance
We are always on the lookout for bright, energetic and ambitious people to build relationships and drive revenue.
The Underwriter is responsible for working with retail agents and carriers to obtain specialized insurance coverage for insureds. The Underwriter will meet growth, profit and production initiatives by developing positive and productive business relationships with retail agents, producers, carriers, co-workers and others.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Manage a book of new and renewal accounts within assigned territory by evaluating the viability of accounts through opportunity assessment and requesting information from retail agents as needed to ensure a thorough and accurate review of accounts
- Underwrite accounts based on designated contract authorities and/or submit risks to carriers to consider risks outside of authority
- Review requests to bind coverage to ensure accuracy before processing
- Set and attain goals for book management including but not limited to, production, agency visits, product updates, collection issues, hit ratios, legal environment, market changes
- Manage and cultivate existing relationships with business partners (retailer and carrier based) to secure and expand recurring revenue streams
- Ensure individual production goals are met, making course corrections as needed
- Provide timely and accurate monthly and quarterly forecasting to the Regional VP
- Participate in and support an interdependent cross sell environment
- Provide effective communication, supervision, and development of support staff, including performance reviews and salary recommendations
- Participate in recruiting efforts of personnel such as new brokers, underwriters and support staff
- Manage the day-to-day efforts of support staff and ensure smooth functioning, cohesive production units, including reviewing and approving expenses for direct reports
- Implement and enforce policies and procedures of the organization
- Participate in and support specialty focus teams
- Effectively offer solutions to business challenges inside area of focus
- Maintain increasing knowledge of insurance industry markets, products, and legal environments, via continuing education, seminars, and self-study, to provide a value-added service to producers
- Participate in industry trade association events such as Target Markets, NAPSLO, AAMGO, PLUS, etc.
- Other duties and projects as assigned
The Underwriter may directly supervise non-supervisory employees. If so, the person in this position would be responsible for the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of their direct reports. Supervisory responsibilities include performing these duties in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws (i.e. interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems).
Qualifications and Associated Titles
|Title||Qualifications / Experience|
|Associate Underwriter||Bachelor’s degree in related field and two years of relevant experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience; this is an entry-level position for underwriters who are beginning to develop relationships in the marketplace and building a book of business; a moderate amount of guidance and mentoring are expected in order to develop knowledge and skills|
|Underwriter (AVP or VP)||Bachelor’s degree in related field and five years of relevant experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience; this is an intermediate-level position for underwriters who are accustomed to the marketplace, industry and/or sector and have developed an average-sized book of business; additional skill development and guidance from a senior broker or supervisor may be required with unfamiliar lines of business|
|Senior Underwriter (SVP)||Bachelor’s degree in related field and eight years of relevant experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience; this is an advanced-level position for seasoned professionals with advanced knowledge of the marketplace, industry and/or sector who can mentor less experienced underwriters; the Senior Underwriter has advanced expertise in a certain line of business and has developed a large book of business|
- Active producer’s license is required for all Underwriter titles
The work environment described here is representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates in a clerical office setting. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This is largely a sedentary role. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands for keyboarding and occasionally would be required to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
Up to 20% travel may be required, including overnight travel.
If you are a self-motivated, results-oriented professional who thrives in a fast-paced environment, please send your cover letter (including salary requirement) and resume to our Human Resources department.
EOE / Qualified veterans and minorities are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to HR@breckgrp.com